Merck Animal Health’s Vista® Vaccines Now Approved for Use in Pregnant Cows and Calves Nursing Pregnant Cows
DE SOTO, Kan., Nov. 7, 2013 – Beef and dairy producers now have the flexibility to vaccinate pregnant cows and calves nursing pregnant cows against bovine reproductive and respiratory diseases with Vista®, a modified-live viral (MLV) vaccine line, from Merck Animal Health. Reproductive diseases account for economic losses of $1 billion annually, and bovine respiratory disease (BRD) is the most prevalent disease in calves older than 30 days.
Approved by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the new indication adds another level of protection and management flexibility to Vista’s proven record of safety and efficacy.
“Providing both reproductive protection for cows and respiratory protection to calves is critical to an effective herd health program,” says Rick Sibbel, D.V.M., director of beef technical services for Merck Animal Health. “The nursing calf claim allows producers to vaccinate calves pre-weaning for respiratory diseases, and the pregnant cow claim offers producers an alternative vaccination option when cattle aren’t handled pre-breeding – the recommended time to vaccinate for complete fetal protection.”
“Cattle that are protected from reproductive disease have higher conception rates, fewer abortions, higher calving percentages and healthier calves. Long-term effects of BRD include a negative impact on growth, reproductive performance, milk production and longevity,” explains Dr. Sibbel.
The USDA approval for Vista’s vaccine line includes the following label additions:
- The cows or heifers being vaccinated should be vaccinated prior to breeding, within the previous 12 months, with any of the vaccines in this product line.
- Fetal health risks associated with vaccination of a pregnant animal with MLV vaccines cannot be unequivocally determined by clinical trials conducted for licensure.
- Management strategies based on vaccination of pregnant animals with MLV vaccines should always be discussed with a veterinarian.
Vista vaccines were first approved for use in 2005 and protect beef and dairy cattle from the following diseases: Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis (IBR), Bovine Viral Diarrhea (BVD Types 1 and 2), Parainfluenza3 (PI3), Bovine Respiratory Syncytial Virus (BRSV), leptospirosis, vibriosis, Pasteurella multocida and Mannheimiahaemolytica.
Vista vaccines are available in six different antigen presentations. Unique features of the vaccine line include:
- One-dose reproductive protection: The only vaccines (Vista 5 L5 SQ and Vista 5 VL5 SQ) with one-dose L. hardjo-bovis protection in combination with five-way MLV and five-way Leptospira protection, including against L. borgpetersenii serovar hardjo-bovis – providing both the convenience of one dose and comprehensive reproductive protection.
- Complete fetal protection: The only vaccine labeled for BVD Types 1 and 2 protection for both persistent infection, for less than 120 days of gestation, and for fetal (or congenital) infection, after 120 days of gestation – providing protection throughout the entire pregnancy.
- Unique respiratory protection: The only avirulent-live culture Pasteurella multocida and Mannheimiahaemolytica vaccine(Vista Once SQ) – providing dual bacterial BRD protection in combination with a five-way MLV. The pregnant cow/nursing calf label claim does not apply to the Vista Once combination.
Producers are encouraged to work with their veterinarian to design a vaccination management program to meet the specific needs of the herd. For more information about Vista vaccines, contact your Merck Animal Health representative or call customer service at 1-800-521-5767.
About Merck Animal Health
Today’s Merck is a global healthcare leader working to help the world be well. Merck Animal Health, known as MSD Animal Health outside the United States and Canada, is the global animal health business unit of Merck. Merck Animal Health offers veterinarians, farmers, pet owners and governmentsone of the widest ranges of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and health management solutions and services. Merck Animal Health is dedicated to preserving and improving the health, well-being and performance of animals. It invests extensively in dynamic and comprehensive R&D resources and a modern, global supply chain. Merck Animal Health is present in more than 50 countries, while its products are available in some 150 markets. For more information, visit merck-animal-health.com.